We believe that graduate students are at the heart of our research and teaching efforts at the UCSC Archaeological Research Center. As a result of our Giving Day campaign last year, we established a fund to support graduate student research in archaeology and closely related disciplines on our campus. This Archaeology Graduate Research Fund provides seed money to fund preliminary dissertation research or small projects related directly to the Ph.D. This past summer, Giving Day contributions allowed us to send one graduate student to the archives to study Colonial Belize, another to the Mojave Desert to explore Native American rock art, and yet another to South Carolina to examine the bioarchaeology of African slavery. To learn more about these exciting projects, please visit http://arc.ucsc.edu/research/ResearchGrants.html. Small grants such as these are often hard to come by, and can make a big difference in a graduate student's career. Please dig deep to support the next generation of archaeologists at UCSC! Your donation will go directly to the Archaeology Graduate Research Fund.
Need Some Incentive?
1. $25 - A postcard from the field from a funded graduate student
2. $50 – 1, plus a cool ARC Coffee Mug
3. $100 – 1-2, plus a sweet ARC T-Shirt
4. $250 – 1-3, plus a personalized tour of the ARC Facilities for 2 people
5. $500 – 1-4, plus lunch for 2 with a funded graduate student
6. $1,000 – 1-5, plus a hands on introduction to ancient pottery or stone tool manufacture for 2
7. $1,500 – 1-5, plus a day in the field on a local archaeological field project for 1.
8. $2,500 – 1-5, plus a private lecture in your home for you and your guests with an ARC faculty member.
9. $5,000 – 1-5, 8, and a 2-day all-inclusive trip to the field with a funded graduate student for 1 person (site tbd).
10. $10,000 – 1-5, 8, and a 3-day all-inclusive trip to the field with a faculty member for 1 person (site tbd).