Thanks for supporting Creating Equity in STEAM (CrEST)!
CrEST: Creating Equity in STEAM
By engaging students from underserved and historically excluded backgrounds in critical thinking in the context of scientific research and mentorship, CrEST (Creating Equity in STEAM) creates equity and promotes diversity in science, technology, engineering, art, and math fields. CrEST helps students around the world feel recognized as scientists and researchers—increasing their confidence, continued interest, and participation in STEAM. Participants are encouraged to pay it forward by mentoring younger students, further enhancing community access to STEAM research.
The CrEST umbrella of programs and initiatives is a collection of outreach activities that constitute a ramp to provide opportunities for middle school, high school, and college students to engage in STEAM research at UCSC.
The CrEST programs include:
(1) Shadow the Scientists (StS) – https://shadow.ucsc.edu/ – a free year-round initiative that allows students to “dip their toes in the water” of STEAM research via real-time Zoom eavesdropping sessions with researchers.
(2) Python and Research (PyaR) – https://pyar.ucsc.edu/ – a free Python and R programming tutorial that allows students to learn the “swim strokes” of scientific research.
(3) Science Internship Program (SIP) – https://sip.ucsc.edu/ – a 10-week immersive summer hybrid opportunity (online or in person on the UCSC campus) for high school students to take a “deep dive” into open-ended STEAM research.
You can create equity in STEAM for all students
Access to research experiences and quality mentorship are key to a student’s success in STEAM. Yet, for many highly motivated students around the globe, these opportunities may be out of view or reach. CrEST has established strong connections with schools and organizations at local, state, national, and international levels. These partners have identified thousands of students whose trajectories could be changed by CrEST. Your gift to CrEST will help unlock the potential of the world’s youth and act as a catalyst for solving some of the world’s most complex issues. For the majority of CrEST alumni, our programs top the list of factors that made a difference in their scientific careers. Please consider the difference your gift will make.
Donor support is essential to advance the goals of CrEST in areas such as:
- Providing need-based scholarships and support for SIP interns, thereby expanding access to critical-thinking and evidence-based research opportunities for underserved students.
- Expanding mentor development and support by providing professional training and mentor stipends.
- Building a robust support framework for SIP interns by funding expenses associated with in-person work.
- Increasing CrEST’s global and domestic reach and broadening the research areas being shadowed with outreach funding.
Learn more about CrEST's work:
- Please click here to review our vision statement.
- Watch our SIP intern testimonials to see the impact the SIP program has had on many students around the world.
- To learn more about all our programs and initiatives under the CrEST umbrella, visit www.crest.ucsc.edu.
- Save the Date: The annual SIP Reunion will be held on Tuesday, December 19, 2023. We'd love to see you there!
Thanks again for your amazing support!